Ivan Briscoe joined Crisis Group in June 2016 as Program Director for Latin America and the Caribbean. He has worked on Latin American politics, conflict and crime since 1996. Before joining Crisis Group, Ivan worked as a senior research fellow in the Clingendael Institute of the Netherlands and in the Foundation for International Relations and Foreign Dialogue (FRIDE) in Spain, where he specialised in the study of illicit networks in Latin America, new forms of armed violence and the effects of inequality.
Prior to that, he worked for over a decade as a journalist and editor in Argentina, France and Spain, where he edited the English edition of El País. He has carried out fieldwork-based research in various Latin American countries, including Argentina, Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guatemala, Mexico, Panama, Peru and Venezuela, and has written for numerous media in the region and in Europe. He graduated from Oxford University with a First Class Honour's Degree in Politics, Philosophy and Economics, studied as a Frank Knox Fellow at Harvard University, and also holds a Master's Degree in Development from the Complutense University of Madrid.
- Senior Research Fellow, Conflict Research Unit, Clingendael Institute (2009-2016)
- Senior Researcher, Foundation for International Relations and Foreign Dialogue (FRIDE) (2006-2009)
- Editor, English language edition of El País (2004-2006)
- Reporter, English language edition of El País (2002-2004)
- Reporter, UNESCO Courier magazine (2000-2001)
- Reporter, Buenos Aires Herald (1996-1999)
- Researcher, Demos (1994-1996)